We have a winter storm coming to the central Ohio area. I'm a little skeptical because of the number of times I prepared for a storm and it never came. This time, I'm pretty confident that we are having one.....
Reasons the storm will bury us:
* I have no milk - I just poured Colin the last of it
* Food - I haven't grocery shopped in 2 weeks
* My camera charger is still MIA - So I couldn't take pictures of the snow
* I've lived with snow my whole life and haven't owned a pair of boots since the 8th grade
* Justin has to work - so I will have to pay some neighborhood kid a ridiculous amount of money to shovel...and I have no cash on me... And when I say Justin has to work, he is 2 hours away - in the snow belt of Ohio... He'll be stuck at work :(
Last weekend we went to our cabin in NY... My cousin (Debbie R) made the BEST BEST BEST chicken tortilla soup... It was soooo good. I came home on Monday afternoon, ran to the store to buy the ingredients and made some that evening... It's super easy and fast! I'm including the recipe in case you are one of the storm victims and need something warm and good to eat.... Maybe I'll brave the conditions to get to the store and make some more of this soup!!!
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP a la Denver Debbie
(fyi...I cut this recipe in half and it was plenty for our little family - and I even had some for lunch the next day)
3 cans black beans, drain and rinse
2 cardboard containers of chicken broth (32oz each)
1# package frozen corn
2 jars salsa (I used mild because Debbie told me to)
6 chicken thighs, cooked and cut up (I used chicken breast and it was YUM)
1 small can tomato paste
2 cans Rotel Mexican tomatoes
chili pepper (powder - is there a difference?! I used powder) to taste
Mix everything together, simmer 1/2 hour. Serve with grated cheese, sour cream and/or tortilla chips. You could get fancy like Rachel Ray and take blue chz crumbles and melt on tortilla chips....